Saturday, October 3, 2015

Day 20 Author Blog Post

Did you publish your book as a traditionally printed book, an eBook, an audiobook, or all three? How did you come to your decision? Which company(ies) did you use for printing, formatting, recording, editing, and distribution? How did you select them?

 

I published my first book as a soft cover print copy and released it in eBook form a couple of years later. The first edition was published by Fixwrite and printed by Bookpal, in the start-up days of the company, when they were eager enough for business to offer affordable priced.  Almost ten years later the company has grown exponentially, as have their prices and the services they offer, and I wouldn’t consider using them again for this reason.



As an editor I self-edited and also formatted the book as I do with all my own work and as a service I provide for other writers.


I made the decision to make it available electronically to enable broader and affordable access to the information contained in the contents, particularly the history of 20th century welfare in Australia and institutions for children and young people of that period.



These days I use Createspace to publish my books and sell them through Amazon and Kindle. I find this is the best and most effective way for me. I like the creative freedom Createspace offers in book and cover design and the printing costs per unit are reasonable.



I settled on Amazon after experimenting with Lulu and Smashwords, finding it more user friendly for my needs.


1 comment:

For some reason I'm yet to fathom I'm unable to reply to comments left by others so thank you for dropping by and taking the time to read and comment. Merlene