Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Monkey on my back



Draft # 1

Written in response to writing group prompt 'monkey on my back'


I don’t have a monkey on my back
I have a whole tribe troop, which means
As soon as I shake one off,
Another appears
Chattering in my ear
With insistent sibilance
About things
I’d rather forget

They are the gatekeepers
To my inner peace
Who belie their reputation
For spontaneity
With grim predictions
Of my imminent downfall

They are the weight of the world
I take upon myself

In the jungle of life.

2 comments:

  1. The little buggers are everywhere, and it is amazing how fart they become gorillas

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I'm yet to fathom I'm unable to reply to comments left by others so thank you for dropping by and taking the time to read and comment. Merlene